How do you find the time to relax more, hang out with friends and share more special moments with your loved ones?
Like many working for a living, your job is all-important and you are committed to put in the extra hours at work. It will enhance your career prospects and may earn you more money. If you have your own business it may require the extra time to make the business a success.
So how do you do both? How do you find a balance between work and your life with friends, family and your own time to relax and enjoy pastimes?
The first thing is to be resolute to find a way. Determination to change is paramount.
Having resolved that you wish to have more self-time and to spend more time with family and friends, the first big step is to set a Goal. Write down what you really want to see happen and in one sentence describe this wish in a Goal. Set a date by when you would like to accomplish this.
Before setting off on a path to reach this goal, understand exactly what is going at the moment:
- Work out how much of your time is spent working, sleeping and relaxing in a typical week.
- List your non-work activities and the time you spend on each
- Think about and write down how you feel about the amount of time you spend with your family.
- Ask your family, individually; how they feel about the amount of time you spend with them.
- Ask a close friend to do the same.
- List the roadblocks that could be in your way to make changes and then think about how these can be overcome.
- Keep a record of how you currently spend your time, by the hour, or even better, the half hour and review after a few weeks to see trends.
- Recognize areas where you could make better use of time.
Having carried out these tasks, to fully understand how you currently spend your time and how these affect you and your family/friends, the next step is to explore what a future would look like with a more balanced life:
- Think about what it would be like to reach your goal of a better work/life balance and write a paragraph about how you will feel when you do achieve it.
- Ask your close family and friend to do the same. Their perspective could help to propel you into action.
Now that you have a better picture of where you are and where you want to be, the next step is to do some research:
- Think about and list all the things you could do to change the current situation.
- Ask advice from others who seem to have found a way to cope with work and have a balanced family life.
- Ask for input from the family, if not already received, about the types of activities they want to see happen and how you could achieve this.
- Research Google on Time management and work/life balance
Having done your research, make notes of your findings. Add these to your notes covering your current situation and desired state which you drew up from your own thinking and feedback from others.
You should now be equipped with enough information to draw up a plan to achieve your goal. Of course this is not enough to achieve your goal. You still have to follow a disciplined approach to carry out your plan.
If everything I’ve suggested to you seems impossible to implement, or you do not believe that you can proceed on your own, then perhaps you should consider a Coach who can guide and coax you towards achieving your goal. It could be a worthwhile investment.